For the past three years our campus, along with the California State University system, have been exploring learning management system (LMS) options since Blackboard Learn-our current learning management system-is going away. During Spring 2018:
- Some of our faculty ran trials of the three systems approved under a system wide agreement-Blackboard Ultra, Brightspace, and Canvas;
- We surveyed faculty and students about LMS usage (many of our students have used both Blackboard and Canvas since the latter is used by all of the community colleges);
- We held focus groups with full time and part time faculty;
- A faculty learning community met throughout the semester to consider the alternatives;
- Results from these efforts were shared with the academic senate.
After careful consideration, we will be adopting the Canvas LMS.
During academic year 2018-2019, both Blackboard Learn and Canvas will be available. Selected faculty will adopt Canvas in Fall 2018 with limited training and support. We look forward to feedback from these early adopters.
A wider roll-out with expanded training and support will occur during Spring 2019. Beginning with the Summer 2019 term, Blackboard will no longer be available and all courses will be taught in Canvas. Recently taught courses in Blackboard will be moved to Canvas for you.