The structure below is to ensure Qualtrics is not used for applications outside the license and that all Fresno State Institutional Review Board (IRB) determinations have been obtained and other relevant university guidelines are followed. Use of Qualtrics is subject to the same policies and guidelines for the use of Fresno State’s computing resources as other policies and procedures set forth by Technology Services. Users must comply with all other applicable university policies, state and federal laws, including the federal copyright laws.
- Faculty and staff are responsible for general oversight of acceptable and responsible use of Qualtrics among their students and graduate assistants in accordance with university policies.
- Survey research involving human subjects are required to obtain proper IRB approval. See Fresno State’s IRB Policy for help on deciding if your survey requires approval.
- Protect the privacy and confidentiality of human subjects and other institutional information as required by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (privacy of student information) and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) (privacy of patient information).
- For more comprehensive information on FERPA and HIPAA please visit the following websites:
- Qualtrics will archive and retain surveys instruments and survey responses indefinitely. However, users are responsible for archiving their data to other media such as a local hard drive or flash drive prior to expiration of the Qualtrics account. OIE is not responsible for archiving data.
- Qualtrics administrators (OIE/Center for Faculty Excellence/Technology Services) routinely monitor the volume of surveys and survey respondents for system management purposes. Usage may also be subject to auditing and security testing.
- Proper authorization is required for use of any copyright material or third party logo used in the survey. Please refer to Technology Services’ Copyright Policy for more details.
- Using your Qualtrics account for non-university related activities is prohibited. This includes personal use or use on behalf of a company/other unit (whether for pay or not).
- Inappropriate language or content in the survey itself is prohibited.
- Sharing your Qualtrics account with unauthorized users is prohibited.
- Users will not SPAM or use other forms of unsolicited mass communication in conjunction with Qualtrics.
- All Qualtrics survey distributions must originate from a valid Fresno State email address. Survey distributions from email addresses such as, Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, or other non-Fresno State address is prohibited.
- Misuse of Fresno State’s logos, seals, or trademarks is prohibited.
- Distributing content that is defamatory or obscene and distributing content that conflicts with the best interests and stated goals of the Fresno State is prohibited.
Inappropriate behavior/content/usage or other abuse of your Qualtrics account will lead to the following consequences:
1st incident - Warning: A warning email will be sent to the abusing party (as well as the faculty advisor in the case of student use). This email will let the user know that a violation of the policies has occurred and that the violating behavior must stop immediately.
2nd incident - Removal of Access: If there is a second violation of the policies, then the abusing individual’s access to the Qualtrics system will be removed.
Note: If the 1st incident is determined to be gross misconduct then OIE may remove access to Qualtrics at that time. The label of gross misconduct will be at the discretion of OIE and/or administrative authorities.
The surveys created or the responses supplied using Fresno State’s Qualtrics Survey Software do not in any way constitute official Fresno State content. The views and opinions expressed in surveys created with Qualtrics are strictly those of the survey’s primary author. Fresno State makes no representations or warranties of any kind, expressed or implied, as to the Fresno State’s Qualtrics Survey Software operation or the information, content or materials included. To the full extent permissible by applicable law, Fresno State’s hereby disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including by not limited to implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for any particular purpose. Fresno State’s will not be liable for any damages of any kind arising from the use of or inability to use Qualtrics Survey Software. The user expressly agrees to use Qualtrics Survey Software solely at his/her own risk.