Welcome to the University Driving Page!
Authorization to Drive on University Business
Let me guess... someone/somewhere has told you to drive for some event related to campus and that you have to take Defensive Driving training. Well, you've come to the right place!
Let's determine if what you are doing requires that you be authorized to drive on University Business.
What qualifies as University Business?
- IRA-funded (Instructionally Related Activities) events.
- Duties/tasks performed as part of your university employment.
- Driving a golf cart/powered cart/gator on campus.
Still not sure? Contact our office for clarification at 559 278-7422 or email@example.com.
First, we have to determine your campus classification. Please click on the option which best defines you:
- Complete the online Driving Authorization Process. Log onto the MyFresnoState portal. Left menu, click on "Forms Portfolio" > "Electronic Forms" > Under the 'University' subcategory, click on "Driving Authorization Process".
- Click here to take the CSU Learn Defensive Driving Fundamentals course (54 minutes long). if a new window does not open, try disabling the pop-up blocker by going to the URL bar, right hand side, click on the "X" and "allow pop-ups from this page". If you do not see the link to Defensive Driving Fundamentals, type in "Defensive Driving Fundamentals" in the top right search box and select curriculum CSUFRESNO-CURRIC-03-DD. Click on "Register" on top right, then "Start". If you are having trouble with the training loading properly, try using a different internet browser. Switch off between Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Internet Explorer.
- Will you be driving a golf cart/powered cart/gator? Click here to take the CSU Learn Powered Cart Safety Training course (15 mintues long). If a new window does not open, try disabling the pop-up blocker by going to the URL bar, right hand side, click on the "X" and "allow pop-ups from this page" If you do not see the link to CSU - Powered Carts , type in "Cart" in the top right search box and select the course titled "Powered Cart Safety Training" Course scorm12_spcentralsta_csupoweredcarts. If you are having trouble with the training loading properly, try using a different internet browser. Switch off between Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Internet Explorer.
- Click here to complete the online Driving Authorization and Registration Process for Volunteers and Non-employees.
- Click here to take the DGS Defensive Driving course. Upon successful completion, you must print the certificate of completion. There is no other way to confirm that you have successfully completed the training. A legible screen shot, use of the “Print Screen” (PrtScn) button or photo of the certification page is acceptable proof of completion. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are not sure, contact our office for clarification at 559 278-7422.
- Will you be driving a golf cart/powered cart/gator? Click here to download and review the Powered Cart Safety Training pdf. After you've reviewed the training, take the Powered Cart Safety Quiz here. Passing grade is >=80% (or >=16 out of 20).
California State University, Fresno is self-insured only for auto liability insurance. This insurance is through the State agency called the Office of Risk and Insurance Management (ORIM) through the State Motor Vehicle Liability Self-Insurance Program (VELSIP).
There are specific requirements for driving on state business. The most significant are:
- Must be a state employee or volunteer signed up through Human Resources (Job Class 0050)
- Must have a valid California or other state driver's license of appropriate class for the type of vehicle being driven
- Must participate in the DMV driving record pull notice program, and maintain a good driving record
- Must have had Defensive Driving training within the last four years
Other requirements and procedures regarding driving on state business are stated in the Policy on Driving on University Business, Section G-14, and the CSU Use of University and Private Vehicles Guidebook.