APPLYING TO START 2018/2019?
To schedule an application interview with Dr. Godfrey, read the information below, then email for an appointment (email@example.com).
For questions about the application and admission process, please see Kremen School of Education application information and contact the advising team, KSEHD, Room 100: Ivy Fizpatrick (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Jessica Choy (email@example.com).
Single Subject Teaching Credential in English
Do you want to teach middle or high school English in California?
Steps to apply to the Single Subject Credential Program in English:
- Demonstrate subject matter competence (SMC) through either the English CSET or an approved subject matter program such as Fresno State's BA in English Education.
- Demonstrate basic skills through the CBEST (state test) or another college level exam.
- Complete prerequisites: CI 149: Research-based Instruction and EHD 50: Introduction to Teaching / Pre-program field experience Waiver
- Apply to the Fresno State post-baccalaureate Single-Subject Teaching Credential Program:
- Complete the Credential Program Application.
- Obtain proof of medical (TB Test) and fingerprinting (Certificate of Clearance) clearances.
- Apply to the University (Cal State Apply) for post-baccalaureate graduate study.
- Schedule an interview and advising appointment with Dr. Godfrey, Credential Coordinator and Subject Advisor in English. Bring a paper copy of your completed application, including typed answers to questions on interview form. The interview will take 40 minutes. Interviews are scheduled only during fall and spring terms.
- Submit all application materials to KSEHD, Room 100.
NOTE: You may apply to the credential program in your final year of undergraduate study while completing subject matter competency requirements. However, you will not be fully admitted nor able to start student teaching until you have demonstrated subject matter competency.
Post-Baccalaureate Single Subject Credential Program Eligibility:
- Bachelor's degree (B.A. or B.S.) with a minimum overall GPA of 2.67 (minimum 3.00 preferred).
- Demonstrate English Subject Matter Competency, either through a California state-approved program such as Fresno State's major in English Education OR by passing the state CSET exam in English.
- Complete EHD 50: Introduction to Teaching OR pre-program field experience waiver.
- Complete CI 149: Curriculum, Instruction, and Technology.
- Demonstrate basic skills by passing the CBEST exam OR through qualifying scores on other college level exams (SAT, ACT, AP, EAP, EPT/ELM).
- Complete all parts of the application process.