Advising for Students

Faculty in the Department of English serve as the primary contacts for advising for our undergraduate majors and minors, as well as our post-baccalaureate graduate and certificate programs.


English major  — Literature option

Contact Dr. Ruth Jenkins

English major  — Creative Writing option

Contact Dr. Ruth Jenkins

English Studies major (formerly English Education option)

English Literature minor

Creative Writing minor

Literature of Diversity minor


MA English  — Literature option

Contact Dr. John Beynon 

MA English  — Rhetoric and Writing Studies option

Contact Dr. John Beynon

MFA Creative Writing

Single-Subject English Teaching Credential

Certificate of Advanced Study in Composition

Contact Dr. John Beynon

Certificate of Special Study in Creative Writing

General Advising

Advising Help for those who've already declared their English major

Visit your My Fresno State portal to look up the name of your assigned adviser.

After you login, your adviser's name will appear on the right-hand side. You can then visit our faculty page to look up your adviser's contact information and office hours.

Advising Help for those who are interested in declaring their English major

Visit the University Registrar website and click on "Forms."

Download and fill out the form needed. Then, make an appointment and take your form to the appropriate professor listed on this page for initial advising.

Advising Help from the College of Arts and Humanities advising and support center

The College of Arts and Humanities Advising and Support Center — located in Speech Arts, room 156 — acts a central location for all general advising information intended for students, faculty, and staff.

The information is categorized depending on who and where you are in your academic journey: prospective students, current students, returning students, or graduate students.

Campus Resources