Certificates in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages/Second Language Acquisition and Teaching (TESOL/SLAT)
Undergraduate Certificate of Special Study in TESOL/SLAT
Required courses (12 units): LING 100, LING 141, LING 171, LING 155
Advising Note: We strongly recommend that international students also take LING 6 or LING 110W prior to or concurrently with LING 141.
Graduate Certificate of Advanced Study in TESOL/SLAT
The Department of Linguistics at the California State University, Fresno offers a Graduate Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages/Second Language Acquisition and Teaching (TESOL/SLAT).
This certificate is designed to train post-baccalaureate participants in the theory and practice of TESOL/SLAT, with application to a wide variety of teaching circumstances. Students must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or better in the program.
- LING 100: General Linguistics
- LING 141: Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- LING 171: Practicum in TESL
Certificate Core Curriculum: 12 units total
- LING 237: Teaching Reading and Writing to Speakers of Other Languages
- LING 241S: Seminar in Teaching English as a Second/Foreign Language
- LING 244: Curriculum Design and Classroom Evaluation
- LING 236 (or an approved graduate elective): Teaching Listening, Speaking and Pronunciation to Speakers of Other Languages