Information for Students taking the MCJ 191: Internship Course
The MCJ Department offers internships for credit (via the MCJ 191: Internship course)
during the Fall, Spring and Summer semesters. Start looking for your internships EARLY
and sign up for MCJ191 prior to the start of the semester.
- Have not previously taken MCJ191 (you may enroll in MCJ191 up to three times but you
will only receive a maximum of 3.0 units towards your degree)
- You are a MCJ major or minor.
- You are at least a 2nd semester junior and have complete at least a couple of your major option area courses.
- You do not currently work for the company you are wishing to sign up with to do an internship.
- The supervisor of your internship (e.g., the person you will be working under at your internship) must have a minimum of five years of full-time experience in the field/area you will be engaged with in your internship.
- If you wish to intern for a company that the MCJ department has not worked with before, department approval and a resume of your potential supervisor will be required. Also, if you are planning on interning for a for-profit company and are not getting paid, note that your internship site must follow the Department of Labor guidelines. Visit the U.S. Dept of Labor's webpage for more information.
- You must secure your internship and enroll in MCJ191 no later than the 2nd week of the start of the new semester.
Steps to Take To Secure an Internship
If you are interested in signing up for MCJ191 and completing an internship for college credit, here's what to do:
- Find your internship. Where should you look? You should seek out those companies that will have an internship in your area (TV stations, Marketing agencies, newspapers/magazines, etc.). Click here for a list of companies that we have worked with in the past. Watch your Fresno State email for announcements from Dr. Pierce on new internship opportunities.
- Secure your internship. Contact them, meet them and impress them! Treat this just like a JOB interview!
- Fill out and submit the Internship Application Form. It is a two page document — you fill out the first part and your internship supervisor fills out the second part. Click here to download.
- Fill out and submit the Student Emergency Contact Form. Click here to download.
- Once you have completed the above forms, submit them to Dr. Pierce (contact info listed below). Once your internship is approved, you will be provided with a permission number to enroll in the course.
- Enroll in the course using the permission number.
- Start your hours — you need to complete a minimum of 150 through the course of the semester.
Requirements During Your Internship
- You and your supervisor should keep track of your hours.
- You should complete approximately 10 hours a week (150 total throughout the semester).
- Watch Blackboard for announcements and assignments.
- Once you have completed 75 hours, you will need to complete your Mid-Term Self-Evaluation Form. This form will be on Blackboard.
- When you are finished with your internship (150 hours), you will need to also complete your Final Self-Evaluation Form. This form is also on Bb.
- When you have completed your internship, you will be required to give you supervisor
the Supervisor Evaluation Form. This form will be made available on Bb. The supervisor will need to complete the
evaluation and send directly to the internship coordinator.
- Failure to complete the above evaluations will result in a NC grade. Failure to complete
the internship hours and/or poor evaluation by the supervisor may also result in a
If you have questions or need additional information, please contact Dr. Pierce, MCJ Internship Coordinator, at email@example.com.