Natural Sciences - Earth Science Option, B.A.
Bachelor of Arts Degree Requirements Natural Sciences Major - Earth Science Option
The B.A. in Natural Sciences Earth Science Option serves to establish subject matter competency through coursework as approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC), which waives the California Subject Exam for Teachers (CSET), and streamlines the process for students to enter the Single Subject Teaching Credential program in Science. This degree program is primarily designed for students who plan to become middle or high school science teachers; however, the program is also suitable for students who have interest in other science career options. Please contact CSM Advising and Resources Center (ARC) at 559.278.4150 for advising and more information., and other areas for which the breadth of scientific coverage of this degree is advantageous.
1. Major Requirements (75 units)
Math (4 units)
Natural Science (3 units)
Physical Science (4 units)
2. General Education requirements (49 units) (See note 2)
3. Other requirements (9 units)
American Government and Institutions (PLSI 2), Multicultural and International (MI), and Upper-division writing
4. Sufficient elective units to meet required total units (varies)
5.Total (120 units)*
* G.E. and MI courses can be double-counted with major requirements. See advisor for details.
Advising Notes for Earth Science Option within the Natural Sciences Major
- Substitutions may be made with the permission of the appropriate department chair. PHYS 4A-B-C with labs 4AL, 4BL is recommended instead of PHYS 2A-B for those students well-prepared for physics.
- This total assumes that students in this option will maximize 13 units required for the major that also may be applied to fulfill General Education requirements as follows: CHEM 1A/1AL (4 units), BIOL 1A (3 units), EES 168 (3 units), and MATH 75 (3 units). Consult your major advisor for details.
In compliance with Federal Requirements for Posting Licensure and Certification Eligibility, please see the CSU Chancellor’s Office calstate.edu website.
B.A. in Natural Sciences - Earth Science Option
A Roadmap identifies the specific set of courses students must complete in their major in sequential order. Information on corequisites or prerequisites is listed along with other pertinent information to assist students in completing courses towards the major.
For the most up-to-date roadmap, please contact the College Advising Center or check your My Degree Plan.
Please note: Roadmaps are not a guarantee of course availability.
If you are looking for archived roadmaps, please click here.