The last day to request to take the medical interpreting entrance exam will be on Tuesday, July 31, 2018.
Access to the entrance exam is halted in order to give participants who have passed the exam an opportunity to register for the program in the fall 2018 semester. Request to take the entrance exam will resume on Monday, October 1, 2018. Individuals who pass the entrance exam after October 1, 2018, will be eligible to enroll in our program in fall 2019.
Medical Interpreting Entrance Exam
The focus of our program is on teaching skills and techniques to those individuals with strong bilingual skills in both Spanish and English. To ensure that participants meet the language requirements, a written entrance exam will be given.
Participants successfully completing the exam with a passing score of 70% or higher will gain entrance into the program. The exam consist of 50 multiple choice questions in both Spanish and English. Participants will have up to one hour and a half to complete the exam.
Online Exam through Blackboard:
The Medical Interpreting Entrance Exam can be accessed and completed on-line using Blackboard. If you are interested in signing-up for the Medical Interpreting Entrance Exam, please complete the following Google form by clicking here.
Please note: Those individuals who pass the entrance exam with a passing score of 70% or higher will be eligible to enroll in the program in fall 2018.
The Medical Interpreting Entrance Exam is "free" of charge.
The following is important information about the on-line Medical Interpreting Entrance Exam:
- The Medical Interpreting Entrance Exam consists of 50 multiple-choice questions in both Spanish and English.
- Participants successfully completing the exam with a passing score of 70% or higher will gain entrance into the Certificate Award in Medical Interpreting Program. The first course in the program, Introduction to Interpreting, is scheduled to begin sometime in fall 2018. This program will be offered entirely on-line through Blackboard.
- You will have up to one hour and a half to complete the exam. Please keep in mind that you will not be able to save your exam and complete it at another time. Once you begin your exam, you will have to complete it within the outlined time frame.
- You will have two weeks (14 days) in which to log-in and complete the Medical Interpreting Entrance Exam. Mrs. Dolores Vezzolini will contact you, via email, with your user name and password to access the entrance exam on-line through Blackboard.
- If you do not pass the exam on your first attempt, you will have one additional opportunity to re-take the exam. You may re-take the exam right away or you can take the exam within 14 days of the first attempt.
- The Medical Interpreting Entrance Exam will be available on September 12, 2017 through July 31, 2018. Dates are subject to change. The entrance exam may be taken twice within that time frame.
- As a reminder, you will be held to the standards outlined in the "University Honor Code" which can be viewed by clicking here.
- Results will be immediately available upon submission of your exam.
Please see the “Frequently Asked Questions” listed below:
Do I have to take the Medical Interpreting Entrance Exam in Spanish and English?
Yes. To ensure that participants meet the bilingual language requirement, a written exam must be taken by every participant who wishes to enroll in the Certificate Award in Medical Interpreting Program.
If I passed the Court Interpreting Entrance Exam, do I have to take the Medical Interpreting Entrance Exam?
Participants who have passed the Court Interpreting Entrance Exam, with a score of 70% or higher, are eligible to gain entrance to the Medical Interpreting program and are exempt from the Medical Interpreting Entrance Exam. For further information, please contact Ms. Dolores Vezzolini at email@example.com for further information.
What is the content of the Medical Interpreting Entrance Exam?
The entrance exam is designed to verify your bilingual proficiency by testing your general knowledge and proficiency in Spanish and English. The exam will focus on your knowledge of grammar, syntax, vocabulary and reading comprehension.
How do I know if I passed the Medical Interpreting Entrance Exam?
Participants successfully completing the exam will earn a passing score of 70% or higher. The exam consists of 50 questions in both English and Spanish.
How will I receive my Medical Interpreting Entrance Exam results?
Exam results are available immediately after the completion of the exam online through Blackboard. Mrs. Vezzolini will send you an email confirming your exam score.
Can I take the Medical Interpreting Entrance Exam again even if I didn’t pass it the first time?
Yes. The entrance exam can be taken twice during the times outlined. If the exam is not passed on the second attempt, participants will have to wait for the exam to become available in September or October 2017.
If my language skills are not strong enough to be admitted to the program at this time, what can I do to improve my skills?
We recommend that you read as much as possible in both English and Spanish, including newspapers, magazines, novels, etc. We encourage you to read Spanish periodicals directly from Spanish-speaking countries rather than ones from the U.S., where styles tend to be heavily influenced by English. Courses in reading comprehension, composition, and remediation are available through your local Adult Schools, Community Colleges, etc. to assist in improving your skills.