School Nurse Services Credential
The CSUF School Nurse Services Credential (postbaccalaureate) Program provides basic preparation for the comprehensive roles in school nursing and leads to the professional (clear) credential approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
The program of study consists of 27 units. It is divided into two Phases; Phase 1 (9 units) and Phase 2 Cohort (18 units). Phase 1 are pre-requisite courses offered either through Fresno State (online or on campus) or through other accredited universities with the approval of the School Nurse Services Credential Program Coordinator. You may email the coordinator for a list of approved courses.
Phase 2 Cohort courses are offered through Fresno State Division of Continuing and Global Education (http://www.fresnostate.edu/cge/). The 12 month program begins with the summer session, continuing through the following spring semester. Prior to the start of Phase 2 Cohort courses, students will attend a mandatory Orientation at Fresno State in June. All Phase 2 courses are online, with the exception of the Health Appraisal course.
This is an online program and students must be computer literate with internet access. Pre-requisites include a course in Nursing Research, a Public Health Nurse certificate or 5 units coursework in Community Health including a lab, Audiology, Counseling and Special Education.
To apply for the Phase 2 Cohort, a completed School Nurse Services Credential Program Application for Admission must be received by December 1. There is no fee for this application and you do not need to apply to the University for Phase 1 or Phase 2. Students are responsible to ensure that all required documents are submitted with the application.
Applicant is responsible to submit official transcripts from all baccalaureate and post-baccalaureate universities. The transcripts should reflect a Baccalaureate degree in Nursing from a CCNE or NLN accredited school with a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 in the last 60 units and a 3.0 in nursing. (*See exception below for two year RN degree.)
In addition to official transcripts, please submit the following documents as one packet:
1. Signed Application. School Nurse Services Credential Program Application
2. Submit two Applicant Recommendation Forms from employer and/or nursing instructor. (Employer/instructor may send directly to the coordinator.)
3. Write a one page double-spaced essay stating rationale for pursuing a School Nurse Services Credential. Please sign and date.
4. Current California Registered Nurse License.
5. California Public Health Nurse Certificate or official transcripts of approved community health nursing. (Must include seminar and clinical coursework).
- Visit the Board of Registered Nursing website for information on approved Public Health Nurse (PHN) programs http://rn.ca.gov/schools/apprograms.shtml#phn). For an application for a PHN certificate visit http://www.rn.ca.gov/pdfs/applicants/phn-app.pdf.
6. School Audiometrist Certificate. For information visit: http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/formsandpubs/forms/Forms/ChildMedSvcForms/pm101.pdf
7. If currently employed as a school nurse, submit a California Preliminary School Nurse Services Credential. This may be obtained through your County Office of Education.
8. Transcripts. Foreign degree students: foreign degree baccalaureate degrees must be evaluated by a California Commission on Teacher Credentialing approved foreign transcripts evaluation agency prior to applying. For a list of agencies visit: http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl635.pdf
*A two year associate degree registered nurse with a baccalaureate degree in another field of study may apply as long as the student completes public health nursing coursework from an accredited California university.
The California Commission on Teacher Credentialing only accepts coursework completed at regionally accredited institutions. For a list of acceptable regional accrediting bodies visit http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/accreditation-bodies.html
If students have questions regarding possible equivalent Phase 1 coursework at another university please email the program Coordinator for approval. Student may be asked to send official transcripts, catalog descriptions, or syllabi.
Mail or Fax signed application and copies of the above documents to:
Coordinator, School Nurse Services Credential Program
California State University, Fresno
2345 E. San Ramon M/S MH25
Fresno, CA 93740-8031
Fax: (559) 278-0410
Acceptance to Phase 2 Cohort
In early spring prior to the start of Phase 2 Cohort, the Program Coordinator will notify applicants of acceptance and send additional information including starting dates for Orientation, and the summer courses Teaching Strategies and Health Appraisal if needed. In the fall students will take didactic and clinical courses. For the School Nurse Practicum course, students are responsible for finding a qualified preceptor (currently practicing as a school nurse with a Professional Clear School Nurse Services Credential) in their geographical area.
School Nurse Services Credential Program Coordinators
Barbara S. Miller, MSN, PNP, RN
Barbara has extensive experience as a school nurse and school nurse administrator. She has been a member of the California School Nurse Organization since the late 1980’s and served as the CSNO State President. She was the Health Services Director of Fresno Unified School District, the fourth largest school district in California, and became the Health Services Director for the Fresno County Office of Education. Barbara believes that school nurses are vital for the successful education of children and strives to provide a program that is supportive of working nurses and those interested in making a positive difference in the lives of students.
If your last name starts with A-L, please contact Barbara Miller at email@example.com for more information.
Patricia Gomes, MA Ed, PHN, RN
A school nurse for the past 21 years, Patricia acted as Coordinator of Health Services for Central Unified School District in Fresno, a large district of 15,000 students. As a school nurse, Patricia worked in all areas of education from preschool to adult education. Patricia is a long term member of California School Nurse Organization, served on the CSNO State Board, and was recognized as School Nurse Administrator of the Year for California in 2010 and recognized nationally by National Association of School Nurses in 2011. She has served as an instructor in the Fresno State School Nurse Credential Program for the past 5 years. Patricia believes that continued professional growth is essential for school nurses to meet the ever-changing needs of California students.
If your last name starts with M-Z, please contact Patricia Gomes at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.