We are excited to celebrate the success of African American students at Fresno State with the African American Student Recognition Ceremony!
During the Rite of Passage Ceremony, each graduate will walk across the stage as his/her name is announced and will be draped in a Kente Cloth and presented with a diploma cover that will have a certificate which recognizes the graduate's achievement.
Date: Saturday, May 18, 2019
Time: 4:00 p.m.
Location: Save Mart Center
Registration:Registration is required for this ceremony. Register for this ceremony by April 19, 2019. There is a $50 fee to participate in this ceremony. See below for more information.
A fee of $50 is required for this ceremony. Payment will be accepted from January 17, 2019 - April 19, 2019. Visit the Cross-Cultural and Gender Center in Thomas Room 110 to pick up a Green Payment Sheet to take to the Cashier's Office for payment.
- Diploma Cover
- Kente Cloth
- Program Participation
- A photo in the souvenir program book
Deadline to take portraits is April 20, 2019.
Portrait location - "Picture Me Portrait" (in Fashion Fair Mall)
- Appointments must be made at 559.221.4400 - when you call to schedule your appointment, please be sure to mention that you are calling from the Fresno State Black Graduation.
- Gown and stole will be provided by the studio
- There is a $5 sitting fee
- Attire for men - button-up shirt and tie
- Attire for women - please keep your jewelry selection subtle as the focus is on you in your cap and gown
Program Book & Advertisements
A souvenir program book with pictures of graduates and congratulatory advertisements is produced each year. Families, friends, churches, community organizations, academic departments, community businesses, and others may purchase advertisement space to salute the achievement of graduating students. Students may sell advertisements and those who sell $300 worth of advertisement space will have their participation fee reimbursed.
Congratulate a friend or get your club or organization to sponsor an advertisement honoring a graduate or all members of the class. The personal advertisement rates are for family and friends.
Personal Advertisement Rates (for students only):
- Full Page (7" x 9.5" - vertical only) - $225.00
- Half Page (7" x 4.75" - horizontal only) - $125.00
- Quarter Page (3" x "5 - vertical only) - $75.00
- Business Card Size (3.5" x 2" - horizontal only) - $55.00
Business Advertisement Rates:
- Full Page (7" x 9.5" - vertical only) - $375.00
- Half Page (7" x 4.75" - horizontal only) - $175.00
- Quarter Page (3" x "5 - vertical only) - $125.00
- Business Card Size (3.5" x 2" - horizontal only) - $100.00
- Full Page Cover (inside front or back) - email email@example.com for prices
- Cross Cultural and Gender Center
Awards may include the following:
Community Service Award:
Academic Achievement Award:
- Undergraduates who have a 3.0 and 3.5 OVERALL GPA are recognized for academic achievement.
Highest Academic Achievement Award:
- Students with the highest GPA are recognized for academic excellence.
- This award acknowledges graduates for dedication and commitment to helping make our campus and community a better place.
Black Faculty and Staff Service Award:
- The Black Faculty and Staff Excellence Award honors a staff, faculty member or student who has made outstanding contributions and shown uncommon dedication and commitment to the organization's mission.
Graduates may not be considered for special awards if forms are submitted after the April 19th, 2019 deadline.
Dates to Remember
April 5, 2019:
- Make an appointment for program photos
- Advertisements for Booklet Due
- Ceremony Fees Due
May 16, 2019:
- Ceremony rehearsal at Save Mart Center
May 18, 2019:
- African American Recognition Program (Students to arrive at 2:30 p.m.)