There are ten steps required to complete this program. The order of some of the steps is flexible, but, each step must be completed. For example, students may complete all electives and/or prerequisites before advancing to candidacy or project research may begin at any time and may be finished before the internship. The order of other steps is not flexible. Please consult a Biotechnology Program Director as you plan your program.
Completion of the Master's of Biotechnology program involves ten steps.
- Admission by the University to the Graduate School and to the Biotechnology Program.
- Classification as a Biotechnology graduate student. (Must complete the first semester.)
- Completion of Core Courses.
- Completion of the Graduate Writing Requirement.
- Advancement to Candidacy. (Must have completed steps 1, 2, 3, and 4 first.)
- Completion of Elective Courses
- Completion of Prerequisite Courses
- Completion of an Industrial or Agency Internship. (Must have completed steps 1, 2, 3, and 4 first.)
- Completion of a Thesis or Project. (Must have completed step 5 to enroll in thesis or project units.)
- Granting of the degree occurs on the satisfactory completion of all coursework, submission and satisfactory defense of a thesis or project, and all other requirements. Must have completed all steps before graduation.
Plan of Study
Below we have provided a suggested plan of study for completing the program in two years. Students must complete core courses and the writing requirement before participating in an Internship or Advancing to Candidacy. This course of study is designed for students to complete the internship during the first summer of the program. Students may elect to participate in an internship at the end of their program of study. Students should consult with program advisors frequently to ensure timely completion of the program. Please note there are many required actions that are not affiliated with a course, but the completion of these actions is essential for graduation. Each item is described in more detail on this web site.
|Semester||Course(s) [suggested order]||Activities and Milestones|
|First Fall||1. Molecular Biology
2. Biotechnology Seminar
3. Take courses to complete admission requirements [if necessary] or take appropriate elective or prerequisite course
|1. Meet Classification Requirements [if necessary]
2. Meet Laboratory Skills Requirements [if necessary]
3. Investigate research opportunities on campus.
4. Identify Faculty Mentor/Advisor
5. Begin writing requirement
|First Spring||1. Molecular Biology
2. Biotechnology Seminar
3. Seminar in New Ventures [MBA 270]
4. Appropriate Prerequisite or Elective Course
|1. Form a Project Committee
2. Complete Graduate Writing Requirement
3. Complete Process for Advancement to Candidacy
4. Work on project research
|First Summer||1. Enrollment only if required||1. Work on Project research|
|Second Fall||1. Seminar in New Ventures Management
2. Appropriate Prerequisite or Elective Course(s)
|1. Complete project research
2. Write project report final draft for committee
3. Prepare Resume or Curriculum Vitae for internship applications
4. Consult with Internship Coordinator about interests and options for completing Internship Requirement
|Second Spring||1. Elective Courses [if required]
2. BIOTC 298
3. Biotechnology Industrial Experience
|1. Submit final committee approved project report to program
2. Make oral presentation of project
3. Apply for internships
4. Prepare for internship
|Second Summer||1. Enroll in BIOTC 275, if needed||1. Internship
2. Write internship report
3. Make internship presentation *
* For internships completed the first summer, the internship presentations will occur during the fall semester.