The Advising Partnership
Advising is a shared responsibility between an advisor and the student. Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the student to make decisions about his/her life goals by creating a plan to reach those goals. Academic advisors can assist in this process by helping the student understand options, determine resources and, when necessary, identify alternatives.
- Respond to student communications in a timely manner.
- Explain University policies and procedures.
- Collaborate with students to identify the best course of action to address concerns.
- Monitor student progress.
- Refer students to appropriate resources.
- Become knowledgeable about the University's programs, policies and procedures.
- Come to appointments on time and prepared to discuss your academic progress.
- Be respectful, honest and professional when communication with you advisor and staff.
- Consider how your priorities and academic goals align when making decisions.
- Follow through on recommended actions and/or referrals.
- Check your Fresno State email on a regular basis; this is the official mode of communication between the university and the student.