John Gregory Green, Ph.D., P.E.
Office: Engineering East, Room 247
Mailing Address: 2320 E. San Ramon Ave., MS/EE 94, Fresno, CA 93740-8030
- CE 20: Engineering Mechanics-Statics
- CE 191T/291T: Railroad Engineering: an Introduction
- CE 191T/291T: Railroad and Highway Geometric Design
Transportation Engineering and Railroads
- PhD, Civil Engineering (Transportation), University of Nevada Las Vegas, Las Vegas, NV, 2008
- MS, Civil Engineering (Transportation), Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, 2001
- MBA, Business Administration, Millsaps College, Jackson, MS, 1999
- BS, Civil Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, 1996
Grants, Honors, Awards:
- Fresno State Transportation Institute Grant for project “Examining the Effects of Precision Scheduled Railroading on Intercity Passenger and High-Speed Rail Service”
- Jack Leisch Fellowship for Civil Engineering Graduate Students, awarded by ASCE National, for work at University of Nevada, Las Vegas, 2002-2003.
- Best Student Paper at TRC/ASCE/ITE Joint Las Vegas Fall Transportation Conference, “Identification of Concentration Patterns of Residents and Trips to Major Attraction Centers to Enhance Transit Service in the Las Vegas Metro Area”, at UNLV Oct. 2002.
- Student of the Year for UNLV, Council of University Transportation Centers, 2008.
- More than 23 years of experience in Civil Engineering, primarily in railroading, but including projects with highways, traffic studies, parking facilities, and traffic signals.
- Senior Project Manager, Mott MacDonald, Chicago, IL
- Principal Rail Engineer, URS Corporation, Chicago, IL
- Senior Project Engineer, CH2M Hill, Chicago, IL
- Senior Project Engineer, Patrick Engineering, Lisle, IL
- Traffic Engineer, Orth Rodgers & Associates, Las Vegas, NV
- Transportation Engineer, HDR, Las Vegas, NV
- Field Engineer, CN Railway, Jackson, MS
- Track Designer, CN Railway, Homewood, IL
Membership & Affiliations:
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), President Illinois Section (2018-2019)
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Treasurer of Fresno Branch (2019- 2020)
- American Railway Engineering and Maintenance-of-way Association (AREMA)
- Vice Chairperson of Committee 24 “Education & Training” (2019-2022)
- Member of Committee 17 “High Speed Rail”
- Green, J.G., A.P. Nichols, E. Allen, L. Nuber, J.E. Thomaz, D.M. Bullock, G. Boruff, J. Wasson, and M. Newland. Virtual Weigh Station. Publication FHWA/IN/JTRP-2001/09. Joint Transportation Research Program, Indiana Department of Transportation and Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, 2002. doi: 10.5703/1288284313348.
- Green, J.G., F. Miller, H. Teng. Comparative Research on the Engineering and Economics of US and International High Speed Rail Standards. Proceedings of the 2015 AREMA Annual Conference, Minneapolis, MN, 2015.
- Green, J.G. “Students of Fresno State’s Railroad Engineering Class Visit the California High Speed Rail Construction Sites”, Railway Track and Structures magazine, May 2020.
- Green, J.G. and Glenn Mullally. “AREMA Committee 24’s IPRE Students in Toronto Visit GO Transit’s Willowbrook Maintenance Shops and Toronto’s John Street Mechanical Interlocking” Railway Track and Structures magazine, pp. 36-37. February 2018.
- Green, J.G., et al. (Co-author) “2018 Report Card for Illinois Infrastructure”, ASCE Illinois Section. February 23, 2018.
- Green, J.G. “RailTEAM Established for New UTC Program”, Railway Track and Structures Magazine, pp. 37-39. May 2017.
- Green, J.G. “AREMA’s Students Say ‘VIA RAIL Montreal – il est le Meilleur dans L’exploitation Ferroviaire!”, Railway Track and Structures Magazine, pp. 48-49. March 2015.
- Green, J.G., et al. (Co-author) “2014 Report Card for Illinois Infrastructure”, ASCE Illinois Section. April 02, 2014.
- Green, J.G. “The ASCE Report Card for Illinois Infrastructure”, ITEms (Newsletter of the ITE Illinois Section), pp.6-7, Volume 52, Issue 2, Summer 2013.
- (Uncredited). “AREMA Imparts Railroad Knowledge with the March 2012 ‘Introduction to Practical Railway Engineering Seminar’ in Las Vegas, NV”, Railway Track and Structures Magazine, pp. 51-52, October 2012
- Green, J.G. “The Illinois Institute of Technology Keeps Transportation Research Moving”, ASCE IL Section News, February 2012
- Green, J.G. “The Proposed ADA Accessible Public R.O.W. Guidelines”, ASCE IL Section News, September 2011
- Green, J.G. “Making Airports Sustainable for a Greener Future”, ASCE IL Section News, September 2010
- High-Speed Rail
- Passenger Railways and Transit
- Freight Railroads
- Transportation of Agricultural Products