As students pursue a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering, they have numerous opportunities to excel in our program as well as increase professional awareness and supplement their leadership skills.
Civil Engineering is a rewarding profession focusing on the planning, development,
design, construction, and maintenance of the built environment (structural systems),
water supply, treatment and disposal (water systems), and transportation systems (roads
and bridges). Civil Engineers not only create and maintain structures and systems
that support the basic necessities such as food, water, air and shelter, but also
work to protect against environmental pollution and
natural disasters such as earthquakes and floods.
The Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering program is accredited by ABET, the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology. The program prepares students for professional practice and also for advanced study in the areas of environmental, geotechnical, structural, transportation, and water resources engineering.
Master of Science Degree in Civil Engineering
The Civil Engineering Program advanced study in the following areas:
- Master of Science in Civil Engineering (MSCE)
- Master of Science in Civil Engineering with an Option in Water Resources and Environmental Engineering (MSCE – WREE)
Visit here for more information.
Common Civil Engineer Occupations:
- Design Build Engineer
- Geotechnical Engineer
- Water Resources Engineer
- Structural Engineer
- Transportation Engineer
- Environmental Engineer
Changing Your Major to Civil Engineering?
Currently enrolled Fresno State students wishing to change their major to a BS in Civil Engineering, please note the following:
- Completion of MATH 75 (calculus I or equivalent), MATH 76 (calculus II or equivalent), PHYS 4A (or equivalent) with a grade of C (2.0) or better and an overall GPA of 2.50 are required for approval to change major.
- Interested student must inform Civil Engineering Program before submitting the Change of Major Form.
- Please submit completed Change of Major/Minor form to the University Registrar Service Windows, Student Services Center, Joyal Administration Building, North Lobby at Fresno State.
Opportunities for Student Success
- Scholarship Opportunities
- Industry Site Visits & Tours
- Service Learning & Volunteer Enrichment
- Paid & Credited Internships
- Leadership Development
- Grant Sponsored Research
- Valley Industry Partnership (VIP) Internship Program
- Modern Design Laboratories, Applications & Equipment
- Practitioner-mentored Senior Projects
- Student Organization Competitions & Platforms
The Civil Engineering program’s full time faculty members have extensive industry, academic and research experience. Most of the faculty members also have their professional license (PE) and are complemented by industry professionals who work with faculty to bring students opportunities to participate in innovative and hands-on experiences off-campus.
Faculty research is funded by external agencies including U.S. Department of Energy, U.S. Department of Transportation, Caltrans, Califiornia Department of Water Resources and Pacific Gas and Electric Company.
2017 Annual Mean Pay
- National: $91,790 (US Bureau of Labor Statistics)
- California: $107,710 (US Bureau of Labor Statistics)
Affiliations & Student Organizations:
American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
National Civil Engineering Honor Society Chi Epsilon
American Water Works Association (AWWA)
American Public Works Association (APWA)
Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE)