Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

The Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology

2016-2017 Fall / Winter Newsletter

Dean Sandra WitteA MESSAGE FROM THE DEAN...

Greetings! As we start a new year, I have paused to take time to reflect on a memorable 2016 – where we started and where we are now. I had to give up making resolutions for a new year since I always seemed to disappoint myself. Instead, my year-end reflections give me food for thought on the priorities for the new year.

In the process of this reflection, one thing just kept coming up – and that was all of you! I am in awe of all that our alumni and friends do for the Jordan College. You serve on advisory boards, provide student internships and support students and programs directly or by establishing endowments. You engage and partner with us in very visible and transformational ways. You help spread the word about all the great things our students, faculty and staff do, you are the ‘wind beneath the wings’ of the Jordan College. This past year has provided so many examples of your support. Read more

Abriendo Caminos program

OUTREACH

Abriendo Caminos program improves Hispanic family health and nutrition
A child, family and consumer sciences class is using the Abriendo Caminos community health promotion program to positively impact the health of area Hispanic families. Read more

Ag One Santa Rosa North Bay Alum Celebration - 50th Reunion Group

ALUMNI

North Bay Ag One alumni celebrate 50th anniversary
A group of five Jordan College alumni enjoyed an extra special Ag One North Bay Alumni and Friends Dinner with a 50th anniversary of their graduation. Read more

Madeline Loftus & Carol Gorter video story

CAREER

Ag Business Mentorship Program: Madeline Loftus & Carol Gorter
Senior Madeline Loftus is on the fast track to an ag finance career thanks to her Bank of America mentorship and internship. View the video

Plant Science Club President's Trophy

COMPETITION

Plant Science Club wins third President's Trophy in five years
The Fresno State Plant Science Club received the esteemed President’s Trophy for the Students of Agronomy, Soils and Environmental Sciences (SASES) national club speech contest. Read more

New boiler- Fresno State food procesing lab

FACILITIES

Campus Farm benefits from $2 million in updates
Keyed by a recommendation by President Castro’s Commission on the Future of Agriculture, the University Agricultural Laboratory is in the process of $2 million in maintenance updates to many of its units that supply the Gibson Farm Market’s wide array of student-made products. Read more

Bayer Cropscience meeting

PARTNERSHIP

Jordan College and Bayer Crop Science begin academic & research exchange
The global ag industry leader is working with our faculty, staff and students to develop new programs to enhance research, career development and community education. Read more

Brandt-sponsored pumpkin sponsored research project

RESEARCH

Students partner with Brandt in pumpkin study
Plant science graduate student Katrina Steinhauer and other students have developed and tested fertilizer programs to improve pumpkin yield and quality. View the video

Athanasios Alexandrou and Joseph Kryger

CURRICULUM

Industrial Technology creates agricultural systems management option degree
The new industrial technology degree integrates courses from various departments and emphasizes innovative production methods and technologies. Read more

President Joseph Castro & Dr. Vincent E. Petrucci - Vino & Friends Library donation announcement

TRADITION

Fresno State to match endowment gifts in memory of Dr. Vincent E. Petrucci

Ag One scholarship and library endowments honor the legendary department founder who passed away Dec. 27 at the age of 91. Read more

Earl Hall and Bulldoggers Rodeo Tam

CAMPUS CONNECTION

Ag Business alum Earl Hall tabbed as College's Top Dog
The alumnus and ag labor workforce leader enjoyed a visit with faculty, ag business students and the Bulldoggers rodeo team. View the video

SJIFT Golf TournamentSCHOLARSHIP

SJIFT golf tourney raises money for food, dairy & meat science students

Proceeds from the 19th annual San Joaquin Institute of Food Technologists Golf Tournament will help fund at least four $1,000 scholarships for Fresno State food science students. Read more

Meat Science Judging Team - Nationals Group Picture 

CLUBS

Meat Science Judging Team returns to national circuit
The Fresno State Meat Judging Team wrapped up its first season of competition since 2013 with strong efforts at several fall events. Read more

Ag One convocation gathering

AG ONE

Your gift to the Ag One Foundation matters because the quality of a Fresno State education and the College’s commitment to educational opportunity depend on it. Fresno State could not be the institution it is today without generous gifts like yours. GIVE NOW

EVENTS

View a list of upcoming events 

SOCIAL MEDIA

Follow the Fresno State Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology on social media at (click links below):

Facebook   Twitter   YouTube   Instagram