Wayfinders accepts applications between October 1st and November 30th
COVID-19 UPDATE: Thank you for your interest in Wayfinders. We are currently at full capacity. Due to COVID-19, we will unfortunately not be accepting applications for the Fall of 2021.
Carefully review Wayfinder's Eligibility Criteria. If all criteria are met, proceed to step 2.
An individual must attend a Wayfinders Information Session / Palazzo Apartment Tour along with a parent prior to submitting an application. Attendance must be within two years of applying. During the Information Session, all aspects and goals of the program will be discussed during a presentation with an opportunity for questions and answers by the Wayfinders’ staff. The Information Session will continue with a tour of the apartments that Wayfinders students reside. Please note that the Wayfinders Information Session does not provide a tour of the Fresno State campus.
Print the Wayfinders Application Packet. Next, contact your regional center service coordinator to complete the referral portion of the Application Packet. An applicant who is not a client of a regional center may apply without a referral by a service coordinator. All required documents of the Application Packet must be submitted together to complete the process for admission consideration to Wayfinders. It is important that the most current information is submitted in order to ascertain that the Wayfinders Program is an appropriate placement and that the student has the combination of desire, motivation, skill, and experience to be successful in the program. Once the completed application packet has been reviewed by Wayfinders, one of the following will take place:
- The applicant and parent(s) or guardian(s) will be contacted to set up an interview (see step #4 below.)
- The applicant was not selected and may be encouraged to reapply.
Applicants are selected by Wayfinders to be interviewed. The applicant and parent(s)/guardian(s) must be present and will be interviewed separately. The interview process will ascertain the following:
- The applicant has the desire, ability, and motivation to complete the program in the expected period.
- The program staff and/or community resources can appropriately serve the applicant's needs.
- The program provides the least restrictive environment for the applicant.
- The applicant is prepared to enter the program.
- The applicant meets the entrance requirements.
- The parents are ready and willing to allow their child to make their own decisions with the support and guidance of the Wayfinders staff.
In February the applicant will receive a letter from Wayfinders indicating one of the following:
- The applicant has been offered admission to Wayfinders and must accept or decline the offer no later than March 1.
- The applicant has been placed on our waitlist.
- The applicant was not selected.