The university was established in 1911 under the name Fresno State Normal School. All academic programs were under the Division of Education.
Fresno State Normal School first graduating class and commencement exercise.
The state changed the university from a two year to a four year institution and authorized the granting of the Bachelor of Arts in Teaching. As the institution matured, the teacher education program was expanded and other non-teacher education disciplines were broken out into departments, divisions and schools.
Teacher Training School is built. The Teacher Training School was a fully functioning elementary school located on the University and Van Ness campus. It was often referred to as the College School. Students preparing to be elementary school teachers completed part of their student teaching observation assignment at this school.
1947 Teacher Training School
1950 Teacher Training School
The current educational program became a separate Division of Education.
The Master of Arts in Education was awarded. The first master’s degree at Fresno State was awarded.
Laboratory School opens. This college lab demonstration school provided observation opportunities for student teachers.
The Fisher Act eliminated the Bachelor of Arts in Teaching and resulted in the general restructuring of professional education. Subsequently, teacher education programs required students to demonstrate academic competence, complete an academic degree and complete a prescribed curriculum in professional post-baccalaureate study.
The current educational program became a School of Education during the reorganization.
The university's name changed to California State University, Fresno.
Dr. Benjamin Kremen, a Professor of Counseling, retired. While on the faculty at California State University, Fresno, Dr. Kremen was a pioneer in counselor education and was nationally known for his work in K-12 guidance programs. He is credited with establishing the Master of Arts in Education degree at Fresno State, and with the development and coordination of pupil personnel guidance programs in Fresno and Madera counties.
The School of Education was renamed to the School of Education and Human Development.
The Joint Doctorate in Educational Leadership was initiated and offered in collaboration with the University of California, Davis.
Built education building on corner of Shaw and Maple.
1994 Dr. Robert Monke
1994 Education Building in unveiled
Dr. Kremen passed away.
The school was named the Benjamin and Marion Kremen School of Education and Human Development in recognition of a four million dollar endowment. It is the first named school of education in the CSU system and one of only a few in the nation. It is the second school at the university bearing a donor’s name.
An independent Docatoral Program in Educational Leadership was established.
The Advanced Program in Early Childhood Education was awarded National Recognition by the National Association of Education for Young Children.
History of Division Heads and Deans
|1913-1917||C. L. McLane President and Credential Authorization|
|1917-1927||Frank Thomas Vice President and Head of Education|
|Department of Education|
|1927-1947||A. R. Lang Head of Department|
|1947-1948||A. R. Lang Vice President and Head of Education|
|1948-1950||Ralph Evans Department Chair|
|Division of Education|
|School of Education|
|1977-1978||Lester Roth (Acting)|
|1978-1979||Carl Stutzman (Acting)|
|School of Education and Human Development|
|1988-1989||Robert Monke (Acting)|
|1996-1997||Robert Monke (Acting)|
|Kremen School of Education and Human Development|