Multiple Subject Credential Admissions Requirements
To find out more about the difference between residency cohorts and other cohorts,
check out our video.
ONLY COMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED
Multiple Subject (Elementary Teaching) Credential Program Application Process
To apply to the program, gather all applicable Items listed in 1-10 below and deliver to the Center for Advising and Student Services in the Kremen School,
ED100. Keep a copy of all application materials for your records.
Program Admission Requirements
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited university or 90 units toward graduation from Fresno State (with the exception of the Blended Degree Program)
- a GPA of 2.67 or higher overall or 2.75 or higher in the last 60 units
If you do not meet this requirement, you still have an opportunity for admission by completing a Special Consideration Form and submitting it with your application.
All requirements are subject to change due to new legislative mandates.
Full or part time students are welcome!
- Multiple Subject General Program
This program can also be taken with the following options:
-Bilingual Authorization Program (BAP) - Hmong or Spanish
-Fresno Unified Teacher Residency Program
-School Partnership Cohort Program
-Concurrently with Liberal Studies Degree Coursework
- Multiple Subject and Education Specialist (Dual) Program (Mild/Moderate or Moderate/Severe)
- Multiple Subject - Early Childhood Education (ECE) (Spring semester start only.)
- Dual ECE Program (MS, ECE, and SPED) (Mild/Moderate or Moderate/Severe) (Spring semester start only.)
- Multiple Subject-Deaf Education
Admission Requirement Forms - All Forms
1. Program Application
Complete the following sections on the program application:
- Student Information
- Program Information
2. Admission Interview
You may sign up for an interview at the Kremen School of Education and Human Development building, Room 250 or call 559.278.0240.
Please bring your responses to the three questions listed on the Admission Interview Form, along with your completed form, to the interview.
4. Subject Matter Proficiency
- Liberal Studies Program Option
- Fresno State Liberal Studies graduates: Submit unofficial transcripts verifying your degree was conferred Spring 2016 or later.
- Liberal Studies graduates from other California Institutions: Submit an original subject matter proficiency verification letter from your school.
- Subject Matter Proficiency/CSET Option
- Submit a copy of all three (3) Multiple Subject CSET subtests passing scores. Get registration and test information at www.cset.nesinc.com.
- Verify completion of an approved subject matter preparation program. To view Fresno State's ESM approval, visit the CTC website at https://www.ctc.ca.gov/commission/reports/data/app-sub-matt-prog.
5. Medical Clearance
A Tuberculosis Risk Assessment Certificate of Completion signed by the Fresno State Student Health Center, a private physician, or an appropriate State of CA health agency is required to verify that you are not at risk for TB.
Admission Requirement Letters
6. Letters of Recommendation (two required)
Admission Requirement Verifications
7. Apply to Fresno State via Cal State Apply
A University application is required if are applying to the credential program and:
- You have already completed a baccalaureate degree from Fresno State or other University.
- You are a first time Fresno State applicant.
A University application is NOT required if you are applying to the credential program and:
- You are a current Fresno State undergraduate entering the program as an undergraduate student.
- You are a current Fresno State post-baccalaureate entering the program as a post-baccalaureate student.
Submit one set of official transcripts from each college attended. Transcripts are not required if the most recent school you attended was Fresno State.
Your school can send transcripts electronically to: email@example.com
Or, mail official transcripts to:
5150 North Maple Ave. M/S JA 57
Fresno, CA 93740-8026
Your University admission status can be checked at my.fresnostate.edu.
Please provide verification of your University application with your credential program application.
8. Basic Skills Requirement
Provide ONLY ONE of the following:
- Take all three subtests of the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) and submit verification of having passed.
- Verification of passing the College Board SAT English (500) and SAT Mathematics (550)
- Verification of passing the ACT English (22) and ACT Mathematics (23)
- Verification of passing the California Subject Examination for Teachers (CSET): Writing Skills exam and CSET: Multiple Subject exam
- Verification of a score of 3 or higher on the AP English Language and Composition or the AP English Literature and Composition Exam and a score of 3 or higher on the AP Calculus or Statistics Exam
- Original score report showing a score of “college ready” or “exempt” in the English and Math sections of the Early Assessment Program (EAP)
- Original score report showing a score of 50 on the Entry Level Math (ELM) exam and 151 on the English Placement Test (EPT)
- A combination of the scores from the EAP and the EPT/ELM as long as you have passed a section of the English and a section for Math
9. Certificate of Clearance
For instructions on obtaining a Certificate of Clearance, click on the Livescan/Certificate of Clearance Instructions.
The Certificate of Clearance is a document issued by the Commission to an individual who has completed the Commission's fingerprint;character and identification process, whose moral and professional fitness has been shown to meet the standards as established by law. The Certificate of Clearance is not related to obtaining a clear credential. The Certificate of Clearance provides no authorization to provide instruction or services in schools its sole purpose is to provide verification that the holder has completed a professional fitness review.
Period of Validity: Certificates of Clearance are valid for five years. Fingerprint information will be invalidated for individuals who have not held any other type of valid document for more than eighteen (18) months after the expiration date of a Certificate of Clearance. The fingerprint process will need to be repeated when individuals whose fingerprints have been invalidated subsequently apply for certification.