Frequently Asked Questions
1. How will I know which courses are included in the DISCOVERe tablet program?
When using the Class Search:
- Locate the Class Type and look for Tablet Course.
- Select Detail and look for DISCOVERe Tablet Course- A tablet will be required.
- A Pop-Up screen will appear with specific information about the tablet program and an acknowledgement check box.
2. If I enroll in a DISCOVERe tablet class, can I use my own tablet?
Yes. Students can use a personally-owned tablet as long as it meets the minimum tablet
specifications (see question 11).
For more on Tablet specifications - Click Here
3. How does the tablet loaner program work?
If you are enrolled in a DISCOVERe tablet course for the Fall 2019 semester, you are able to apply for a loaner tablet that can be checked for the semester, free of charge.
4. Why should I purchase my tablet through Kennel Bookstore?
Students who purchase their tablet through the Kennel Bookstore are eligible for education pricing.
5. Is there a payment plan available through the bookstore?
Yes, if you are enrolled in a DISCOVERe tablet course for the Fall 2016 semester, you will be able to select a payment plan for a term of two semesters. Balances of under $100 must be paid with a one (1) semester plan. Non-degree seeking students are not-eligible. Students must be enrolled as a regular student in an eligible program at Fresno State. A Fresno State I.D. and credit card* are required to participate in the payment plan. In addition, a Tablet Device Agreement will need to be completed at the time of purchase. If you are under 18 years of age, a parent or legal guardian must also sign this agreement. University Accounting will add the semester fee to your student account. This fee may be covered by financial aid (textbooks and supplies).
* For students that do not have a credit card, the Kennel Bookstore will accept a parent or legal guardian's credit card. The Fresno State "Higher One" Card cannot be used, if you have any questions or need assistance regarding this credit security requirement, please contact the Kennel Bookstore directly at 559-278-4062 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. Which tablet devices are being offered through the tablet loaner program?
The tablet loaner program is only renting out the following tablet model:
- Apple iPad Air 2 - 64GB Wifi Only
7. What is not included in the DISCOVERe Loaner Tablet?
8. When can I pick up my tablet loaner?
Loaner tablets will be available one to two weeks before the Fall semester begins. Specific dates will be announced at a later date.
9. Does the DISCOVERe tablet initiative support multiple platforms?
Yes. Fresno State's DISCOVERe tablet program supports platforms for Apple, Androids, and Windows devices. Refer to Minimum Tablet Specifications.
10. What are the minimum device requirements to bring my own device?
- iOS 9.0+ or newer (iPad 2+; iPad Air 2, iPad Pro recommended)
- Android 5.x+ or better
- Windows 8.1+ (excluding RT)
- Front and Rear Facing Web Cameras
- Minimum of 7.9" Screen
- Minimum 16GB (32GB+ recommended) Capacity
- 802.11n Wireless
- (Must be able to add a mechanical keyboard, headphones)
- Additional recommendation(s)
- *Untethered presentation capability: Miracast for Windows and Android devices and Airplay for iOS devices
- **Devices already purchased through the DISCOVERe program that meet the specifications above can continue to be used
- ***BYOD that fall outside recommendations assumes the student will take responsibility for following with class material provided. Instructors are not responsible for compatibility when outside recommended platform and specifications.
Tablets that do NOT meet requirements
- Amazon Kindle
- Windows RT Tablets
11. Are eTextbooks available for all classes?
Not all classes will have eTextbooks. The Kennel Bookstore will have eTextbooks available if the instructor has requested and the publisher can provide an eTextbook option.
12. What types of apps will I need to purchase for use in my DISCOVERe tablet courses?
The apps you will be asked to purchase are, in some cases, considered textbook replacements and will vary in price. The apps selected for classroom use will vary upon the academic department and the instructor.
The information on this website is available in alternate formats. Please call our office at 559.278.3052 to make your request.