Students in most majors must complete a minimum of 51 semester units of General Education. If you have any questions about GE, see an academic counselor in the University Advising Center, Joyal Administration Building, Room 224 (559.278.1787).

NOTE: Liberal Studies, Engineering, and Smittcamp Honors College students follow modified GE patterns. Please see advisors in those departments for more details.

General Education pattern

<--- Click on the image to download a PDF copy of the GE pattern.

(Updated October 2017)

The current GE pattern has been in effect since the 1999-2000 catalog.

Click here for the 1988-89 through 1998-99 General Education pattern.

Commonly Asked Questions About GE

May I take a general education course at my local California community college during the summer?

YES! A helpful resource can be found at Assist.orgTo find this information in ASSIST, look at the CSU GE-Breadth Certification Course List for your community college, or come to the University Advising Center to determine if the course you plan to take is articulated with Fresno State.

I plan to study abroad next semester. Are there any classes I can take that will fulfill General Education requirements?

Yes, you may be able to pre-petition for courses taken in your study abroad program to fulfill GE requirements. See an academic counselor in the University Advising Center to find out if a course or courses you plan to take could count for GE.



In order to graduate, students must complete the following items:

1. Total units (most majors)

  • 2002-2003 to present catalog years 120 units minimum

2. Major requirements : varies by program

3. General Education (51 units*) including:

  • 1999-2000 to present catalog year
  • FOUNDATION (12 units)
  • BREADTH (27 units)
  • INTEGRATION (9 upper division units)
  • MULTICULTURAL/INTERNATIONAL (3 upper division units)

NOTE: Majors in Engineering and Liberal Studies follow a modified General Education pattern. Students in these majors must consult with their faculty advisor for specific requirements.

For 1988-89 through 1998-99 General Education catalog years , please make an appointment with an academic counselor in the University Advising Center to determine eligibility.

4. Upper Division Writing Skills (after 60 and before 90 units completed)

All students must pass the Upper Division Writing Examination (UDWE) OR Pass a "W" course with a grade of C/CR or higher. Here is a PDF document with the current list of "W" courses.  Some programs require a specific "W" course.

Students should contact the Bulldog Testing Centerr by calling 559.278.4137 for exam dates and registration information or visit their website.

5. Residence units (30 units total; 24 are upper division, 12 are in the major, and 9 in G.E.)

6. 40 upper division units

7. GPA of 2.0+ in three areas:

  • in the major
  • in all Fresno State coursework
  • total/cumulative units (some majors require a 2.0 in every class)

8. Pay graduation fee at the cashier's window - Joyal Administration South Lobby

9. File graduation application with cashier's receipt attached in the Degree Advising Office (Joyal Administration Building, Room 115) during specific filing periods