Freshmen CSU Eligibility Requirements
- Complete A-G course requirement with a C or better grades (see below)
- Meet eligibility index (see below)
- A high school diploma or passing the California High School Proficiency Examination or complete a General Education Development program (GED)
The CSU requires a minimum 15-unit pattern of courses for admission as a first-time freshman. Each unit is equal to a year of study in a subject area. A grade of C or better is required for each course you use to meet any subject requirement.
|Total Required Courses||15|
|A||History and Social Science (including 1 year of U.S. history or 1 semester of U.S. history and 1 semester of civics or American government AND 1 year of social science)||2|
|B||English (4 years of college preparatory English composition and literature)||4|
|C||Math (4 years recommended) including Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, or higher mathematics (take one each year)||3|
|D||Laboratory Science (including 1 biological science and 1 physical science)||2|
|E||Language Other than English (2 years of the same language; American Sign Language is applicable)||2|
|F||Visual and Performing Arts (dance, drama or theater, music, or visual art)||1|
|G||College Preparatory Elective (additional year chosen from the University of California"a-g" list)||1|
There are career and technical education (CTE) courses that can be used to meet any
of the subject area requirements listed above. Please refer to https://www.ucop.edu/agguide/ for the entire listing of approved courses.
Your grade point average is calculated on Your grade point average is calculated on all a-g courses completed after your 9th grade. When filling out your admission application, your GPA should include your a-g courses taken the summer after 9th grade through the end of your 11th grade.
Honors, AP, College, or IB Classes
- In your calculation, add an extra point to any approved honors, AP, college or IB grades used to satisfy A-G requirements in which you received a grade of C or better. For example, a B in AP Government would have a point value of 4 instead of 3.
- Up to 8 semesters can be awarded extra points in your GPA calculation.
- Up to four approved honors courses taken in the 10th grade can be given extra points.
- No extra points are added to grades of D or lower.
- In order to be an "approved honors level course," that high school course must be identified as honors level on your official high school "a-g" course list. You can find your school's course list at www.ucop.edu/agguide/.
Admission to Fresno State is competitive in all majors because Fresno State continues to have more qualified applicants than can be accommodated by state funding. This situation is called "impaction' and it means that meeting the minimum CSU minimum eligibility requirements does not guarantee admission to Fresno State. To learn more about the Admissions Selection Process, visit our Freshman Impaction Information.