Frequently Asked Questions
What is Summer Bridge?
Summer Bridge is a three-week residential program that supports the transition of first-time freshmen into the University.
- Students take classes in math and writing to enhance their academic preparation for college.
- Students who pass the math challenge exam will meet placement standards to possibly enroll into Category II GE B4 or STEM math course.
- Students who pass the writing course will receive 3 units of elective credit.
- Students are part of a learning academy where they receive support from an instructor, a counselor, tutors, and other peers.
What is the cost to attend Summer Bridge?
There is no cost to students participating in the program, which includes a math and writing course, and tutoring.
Summer Bridge Dates
Sunday, July 8 through Friday, July 27, 2018
Why attend Summer Bridge?
- Complete Early Start requirements (math and writing).
- Learn how to navigate the Fresno State campus.
- Receive an in-depth orientation to the college experience.
- Review fall 2018 course selections.
- Finalize financial aid and housing arrangements.
- Make new friends and learn how to effectively work in teams.
- Become familiar with campus resources.
Who is eligible?
Entering freshmen who have been admitted to California State University, Fresno for the fall semester are encouraged to apply. Priority will be given to EOP students.
Must I attend the entire Summer Bridge Program?
Students selected for Summer Bridge are required to make a commitment for the entire length of the program- July 8 through July 27, 2018.
Can I leave during the day?
No, Summer Bridge is an intensive program with lots of scheduled activities. Prior exceptions are made only with doctor’s appointments and other health related issues.
May I go home on weekends?
It may be possible to go home after all scheduled activities. Details are still being finalized.
Can I work and attend Summer Bridge?
This is an intensive program. Students follow a rigid schedule from 7:00am to 10:00pm, Monday through Friday, and Saturday from 8:00am to noon. As you can see, the amount of time available for employment is very limited and we do not encourage employment during Summer Bridge.
Are visitors allowed during Summer Bridge?
No, except during specified times. All visitors must check in at the Graves Hall office and are subject to program rules.
Should I bring my car to Summer Bridge?
We do not encourage students to bring cars; however, it is understood that under certain circumstances it may be necessary.
Do I have to attend Dog Days if I attend Summer Bridge?
All first-time freshmen are required to attend Dog Days: New Student Orientation. Dog Days is an opportunity to learn about General Education and academic requirements, receive academic advising and get information about how to register for classes. Students who are interested in attending the Summer Bridge Program are REQUIRED to attend Dog Days.
For more information about Dog Days, please call 559-278-4885 or visit their website at Dog Days Website.
How do I apply for Summer Bridge?
If you have any questions, please contact:
Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)
California State University, Fresno
5150 North Maple Ave., M/S JA 62
Fresno, CA 93740-8026
Phone: (559) 278-6025
FAX: (559) 278-2323