Skip to contentSkip to navigation

What are my Reporting Options?

You have the right to choose if, when, and to who you report the assault or incident to. You can choose all or none of the options listed below. There are no timelines to report.

Confidential Report

You have the option to report the incident anonymously through the Victim Advocate website. Please Note: Completing this form does NOT constitute a police report nor a student conduct report. You will not be contacted by the Victim Advocate unless you indicate a desire to be contacted. This option allows you to disclose a sexual assault or other incident but remain completely anonymous.

The Confidential Reporting Form can be found here.

You can also send an anonymous report to

You can report the assault confidentially to Fresno State’s Confidential Victim Advocate:

Lisa Risch, PhD

Victim Advocate


 The Victim Advocate’s office is located here:

Reporting to the University/ Title IX Complaint

Filing a complaint with the Title Ix Coordinator may result in disciplinary action through the university for the alleged perpetrator.

Additional information can be found on the Title IX website.

Filing a Police Report

This process may start a public investigation by the police department that could result in charges being brought against the alleged perpetrator.

Fresno State Police Department
2311 E Barstow Ave M/S PO 14
Fresno, CA 93740

The Fresno State Police Department is located here:

If you would like to report the assault to the police, for the quickest response, call 911 to be connected to the nearest police department. You can also report the assault in person at the Fresno State Police Department.

  • If the assault occurred on university property, contact Fresno State Police Department at 278-8400. If you are unsure, contact the Fresno State Police Department and they will assist you.
  • Fresno State Police officers are on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
  • Fresno State Police officers are trained in working with survivors of sexual assault and dating violence.
  • Although a patrol officer is generally the first to respond, a trained detective will do the investigation. Police, in order to investigate the crime, will question the survivor, collect evidence from the crime scene (if available), receive the evidence obtained at the hospital or forensics facility (if a forensics exam was completed), take a formal statement and protect the survivor's anonymity.
  • The survivor is entitled to request the presence of a Confidential Victim Advocate during the interview. The survivor has the right to have a Confidential Victim Advocate present during all medical and law enforcement procedures. If you would like to speak with an advocate or have an advocate present, contact the Victim Advocate on Campus 559-278-6796 or RCS 559-222-7273
  • The interview will usually focus on the events prior to the initial contact with the perpetrator, a detailed account of the behavior and words used by the survivor and the perpetrator, a detailed account of the assault and a description of the perpetrator.
  • The survivor may request that the Police not investigate the crime itself, but rather maintain the information of the crime in its regular reservoir of crime data. A Confidential Victim Advocate may remain with the survivor during all interactions with the Police (if requested).

Choosing Not to Report

You have the right to choose when, how, to whom, or even if you report the incident.

Many victim/survivors choose not to formally report what happened to them.  We want you to get all the help that you deserve and encourage you to talk to someone who can support you. We do, however, respect your wish not to report formally. You have the right to file a formal report at any time.