Giving to Media, Communications and Journalism
In the Media, Communications and Journalism Department, our students study media - whether it's print, broadcast or online journalism, filmmaking or strategic communications - and receive a comprehensive knowledge of the political, economic, cultural and technological forces that shape - and are shaped by - media content.
Our students also are made aware of their responsibilities as ethical, self-directed practitioners within the rapidly changing communication industries.
Our Points of Pride
Directly Impacting the Community
- The Collegian, the award-winning student-run newspaper of Fresno State, has been in continuous existence since 1922 and is nationally recognized for all facets of its production.
- Fresno State Focus, the award-winning student-run newscast that airs on Comcast Channel 94 and CMAC.TV.
- TALK, a full-service, student-run Public Relations firm, has 20 staff members. TALK worked with nine clients in the Spring 2016 semester doing everything from blog creation to special event planning to media relations and social media management.
- The Public Relations option curriculum is fully integrated into the service-learning pedagogy, providing students with four to six hands-on experiences with area community benefit organizations via three distinct classroom models.
- TASTE (Take A Student to Eat) -- annual program that matches up to 100 MCJ students of all majors with area professionals in their fields. The day includes a morning of job shadowing and a networking luncheon with their matched professional.
Global News Relay
- The MCJ department partners with universities around the world to host an annual global newscast the spring. In 2016, the Global News Relay featured 12 universities from five countries; in 2017, it featured 17 universities from 10 countries; and in 2018, it featured 19 universities from 10 countries.
Scholarship and Recognition
- The department offers more than two dozen distinct scholarships ranging from $150 - $3200 that support our hard-working talented students.
- The Media, Communications and Journalism Scholarship Reception is an annual event celebrating all of the scholarship winners, their families, and our donors.
- MCJ Alumni & Friends Hall of Fame Induction is a bi-annual event that inducts accomplished MCJ alumni in the Hall of Fame and into the MCJ Fellows (a designation for those mid-career MCJ rock stars).
How to Give Online
Click on this Give Now link to go to the University's secure, online donation form.
Enter the desired amount, then check "Other" and write in "Department of Media, Communications and Journalism."
We appreciate your continued support.