Department of Recreation Administration

Samuel Lankford, Chair
Professional and Human Services Building, Room 121
FAX: 559.278.5267

B.S. in Recreation Administration - Community Recreation and Youth Services Option
B.S. in Recreation Administration - Outdoor Recreation and Natural Resource Management
B.S. in Recreation Administration - Recreation Therapy Option
B.S. in Recreation Administration - Special Events and Tourism Option
B.S. in Recreation Administration - Sports and Entertainment Facility Management Option
Minor in Recreation Administration

Courses Offered

The department offers a Bachelor of Science degree in Recreation Administration for individuals who are committed to the recreation and leisure services profession. The major in Recreation Administration prepares students with the knowledge, understanding, ability, and skill necessary to successfully function in professional positions related to the major.


Accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Parks, Recreation, Tourism, and Related Professions, the department offers a B.S. and a Minor in Recreation Administration.

Students in the recreation administration major complete a core of courses. These courses are designed to assist students in acquiring competencies related to the principles of recreation, leadership, group dynamics, and leisure behavior. Courses also cover legal and financial aspects of recreation service, advanced program planning, organization and administration of leisure services, evaluation, and professionalism.

Students develop specific skills in the areas of communication, human behavior, youth services, entrepreneurism, and adventure-based recreation and tourism, finance, management, marketing, funding, resources, program planning and supervision, and facility management.

Under the guidance of a practitioner, students in recreation administration are encouraged to acquire 1,000 hours of paid or voluntary hands-on experience in a variety of recreation, clinical, or leisure services agencies. In addition, they complete full-time internships with commercial recreation and tourism enterprises, public recreation agencies, nonprofit organizations, park-oriented agencies, hospitals, rehabilitation centers, and other service organizations.

Students may apply for an out-of-state internship if they achieve a major GPA of 3.3 and a cumulative GPA of 3.0. Additional requirements must also be met.