Mass Communication and Journalism - Digital Journalism Option, B.A.
Bachelor of Arts Degree Requirements
Mass Communication and Journalism Major - Digital Journalism
Majors must complete a minimum of 37 semester units of mass communication and journalism courses with a grade of C or better in each course. Each student will take 19 units of MCJ core courses and 18 units of courses in their selected option.
Each MCJ major must select an option, which is an area of specialization within the major. The options are advertising and public relations, broadcast and multiplatform journalism, digital journalism, and film and media arts. The courses required for each option are listed under Major Requirements.
3. Other requirements (9 units)
American Government and Institutions (PLSI 2), Multicultural and International (MI), and Upper-division writing. It is recommended that students take an MCJ course for their MI (MCJ 176 or MCJ 179)
4. Sufficient elective units to meet required total units (varies)
5. Total (120 units)
* G.E. and MI courses can be double-counted with major requirements. See advisor for details.
- MCJ majors are not permitted to enroll for CR/NC grading in MCJ courses applied to the major, except for courses that require such grading.
- Students must meet all university graduation requirements. This includes the Upper-Division Writing requirement, which may be met by taking MCJ 102W or a "W" course from another department.
MCJ faculty members have substantial professional experience and maintain close ties with the professional communities in their disciplines. Numerous faculty have been recognized nationally for their research, scholarship, and creative works. All faculty members serve as career and academic advisors.
For faculty phone numbers and e-mail, see the campus directory.
For more on the faculty, see the faculty pages.
The faculty pages are updated by the department or program.