Certificate of Advanced Study in Research Methods
Did you know schools, hospitals, non-profit organizations and private businesses are looking for people who have research skills to collect and analyze data to inform decision-making? Earning a Certificate of Advanced Studies in Research Methods will prepare you to design surveys and interview protocols, to analyze quantitative and qualitative data and to communicate research results.
Make a Difference with Research!
- Provide services in research offices of school districts or county offices of education.
- Work as a private evaluation consultant or pollster.
- Prepare grants for your school by designing the evaluation component.
- Work for non-profit organizations to examine social justice issues.
Take 5 of the following courses.
|ERE 153||Educational Statistics|
|ERE 220||Research in Education|
|ERE 243||Research on Teaching in the Multicultural Classroom: Quantitative and Qualitative Methods|
|ERE 287||Qualitative Research Methods in Education|
|ERE 288||Measurement and Evaluation|
|ERE 289||Statistical Modeling|
The mission of the Certificate of Advanced Study (CAS) in Research Methods is to empower professionals in all areas of education and other disciplines to learn about advanced methodologies in quantitative, qualitative and mixed methods research and to develop the skills to make ethical, sound and supportable decisions to advance the education of all persons.
Goals and Learning Outcomes
Conceptualizing Research Studies
CAS Research Methods graduates will understand how to develop research questions and to design quantitative, qualitative, and mixed methods research studies.
- Define and explain theories underpinning quantitative and qualitative research methods.
- Identify components of an IRB proposal.
- Understand how to formulate research questions and how to select the appropriate research approaches to address those questions.
- Critically evaluate and summarize research.
- Communicate research in writing and orally.
Conducting Quantitative Research
CAS Research Methods graduates will develop exemplary skills in measuring constructs, collecting information, analyzing quantitative data, and interpreting results accurately.
- Select and/or design instruments and surveys, and explain the principles of reliability and validity.
- Collect data and design systems to manage quantitative data.
- Develop the skills to analyze quantitative data with appropriate, advanced statistical techniques and to interpret and report those results.
Conducting Qualitative Research
CAS Research Methods graduates will develop exemplary skills in determining appropriate qualitative data sources, collecting information, analyzing qualitative data, and interpreting results accurately.
- Design observations, interview protocols, and other qualitative techniques, and explain the principles of credibility and dependability.
- Collect and code qualitative data with appropriate methods.
- Develop the skills to critically analyze and interpret qualitative data with trustworthy methods.
If you are a current student and would like to add this certificate to your current program, fill out this application.
If you are not a current student, you will need to apply to both the university and the Certificate of Advanced Studies in Research Methods. Please follow the application instructions here.