Maintaining a clean and safe campus environment
April 15, 2021
Dear Fresno State Faculty and Staff,
As we continue to finalize our plans for Fall 2021 repopulation, your feedback through surveys and other forums has been very helpful. Based upon the Governor’s announcement last week, we are looking forward to welcoming you back to campus in the fall to support the majority of our courses, which will be in-person. In this regard, I want to assure you that we have maintained a safe environment at Fresno State over the past 13 months.
At the onset of the pandemic, our Facilities team increased the frequency of cleaning and disinfecting of our facilities in accordance with CDC and public health guidelines –and they will continue to ensure we have a safe environment in the fall.
I’d like to share with you some of the measures that we implemented, which will continue in the fall. Our dedicated custodial team has been diligently cleaning and disinfecting all occupied instructional spaces, offices and various campus support spaces. Some examples include:
- Henry Madden Library - cleaning service and regular disinfection is provided throughout the day. Electrostatic disinfectant misting will continue, with nightly disinfection.
- Joyal Administration, north and south lobbies - cashiers’ windows are disinfected regularly throughout the day and with nightly electrostatic misting.
- Student Athlete facilities - we provide daily deep cleaning and nightly electrostatic misting. The same is true for our Programs for Children Child Care Centers.
In addition, our custodial team has been doing the following, once or twice daily:
- Hand disinfecting all touchpoints, desks and countertop surfaces.
- Disinfecting areas (study areas/rooms with equipment, desks, chairs and stairwells) with mister/fogger special equipment when the building is closed.
- Cleaning and disinfecting all handrails, buttons and door hardware (levers) in corridors, stairwells and elevators.
The disinfectant cleaners utilized are EPA-approved for use against SARS-CoV-2, effective against the COVID-19.
With the support of federal HEERF funds, we have invested in specialized disinfection equipment including:
- 7 electrostatic misters
- 14 electrostatic handheld sprayers
- 10 electrostatic mist sprayers
- 15 no-touch cleaning systems, pressure spray and wet/dry vacuum unit
- 4 industrial decontamination systems
- 1 autonomous floor scrubber
I’m certain that we will all feel safer knowing about the diligent efforts that are being undertaken each day to implement extensive cleaning and safety protocols. Your safety and well-being are of paramount importance to us, and we look forward to continuing to work together toward a return to our beautiful campus.
Please watch this short video to learn more.
Saúl Jiménez-Sandoval, Ph.D.